The Jacksons Legacy: How the Jackson 5 got their start at a rough New York club


THEY would go on to be a legendary group but the Jackson 5 and a young Michael Jackson got a baptism of fire in New York’s famed Apollo Theater.

IN the small town of Gary, Indiana, Joe and Katherine Jackson are raising their nine children in a two-bedroom home. The three oldest brothers decide to form a band and are eventually joined by two of their younger brothers. This is the story of how Michael Jackson and the Jackson 5 got their start.

The Jacksons grew up in a small two-bedroom house at 2300 Jackson Street in Gary, Indiana. Picture: Dan Gottesman/2017 Jacksons Entertainment

The Jacksons grew up in a small two-bedroom house at 2300 Jackson Street in Gary, Indiana. Picture: Dan Gottesman/2017 Jacksons EntertainmentSource:Supplied

JACKIE: Tito, Jermaine, and I started the group. We were just fooling around on guitar and bass and then one day Michael joined us, playing bongos on a Quaker oatmeal box. He played them so well we thought he should be part of the group. As soon as we did that, he started dancing up in front, doing his James Brown thing. Michael always watched James Brown on television, and Jackie Wilson, too. Also the Temptations and the Four Tops. He would copy what they were doing. That’s when we realised how much showmanship he had, and we thought maybe he should be upfront, singing lead. Michael was a little kid at the time but he was very professional.

TITO: Michael and Marlon had both been asking to be in the group. We kept telling them they were too young, that this was just for their big brothers. When Michael was in first grade, he proved himself singing Climb Ev’ry Mountain from The Sound of Music at Garnett Elementary School. We told Michael, “You’re in the band now.” Then Marlon said, “Me, too?” We told him, “You too, Marlon.” In his autobiography Moonwalk, Michael described how he was overwhelmed at the ovation he received from the audience in the school auditorium. “The applause was thunderous and people were smiling; some of them were standing. My teachers were crying and I just couldn’t believe it. I had made them all happy. It was such a great feeling. I was a little confused, too, because I didn’t think I had done anything special. I was just singing the way I sang at home every night.” With the brothers now officially a quintet, word of their musical prowess spread through the neighbourhood.

Some of the photos from their photo album. Picture: Dan Gottesman/ 2017 Jacksons Entertainment

Some of the photos from their photo album. Picture: Dan Gottesman/ 2017 Jacksons EntertainmentSource:Supplied

JACKIE: Whenever we played music at home, kids who lived nearby would gather outside and peek in the windows to watch us. We really enjoyed that, playing Motown songs and hits by Sam Cooke and Sam & Dave and all those musicians from Stax. It was the best music. We were crazy about the Motown beat and would sing every Motown song we heard on the radio. We’d emulate the Temptations and Diana Ross & the Supremes. We would say that we’d love to be on Motown even though we weren’t ready yet. We were just little kids singing in the bedroom, using broomsticks for microphones. The brothers’ reputation grew, and one day Katherine received a phone call from her friend Evelyn Leahy. She was organising a children’s fashion show at a department store in Forest Glen Park, about an hour away in Illinois. She wondered if the boys would sing three songs as part of the show. Katherine asked her sons and they all said yes. Evelyn needed to know the name of the group so that she could print flyers. Since the boys didn’t really have a name yet, Katherine suggested the Jackson Brothers Five. Evelyn said she would shorten it — to the Jackson Five.

* * *

The Jackson Five soon became very popular.

The Jackson Five soon became very popular. Source:News Limited

TITO: Our very first talent show was at Theodore Roosevelt High School in Gary. That was a challenging show. One of the groups we were competing against was called the Ethics. They were very good. They sounded just like the Temptations and could have made it big. I don’t know why they didn’t. We were challenged by them many times and we won at least 90 per cent of the time. At that first Roosevelt High School talent show, Jermaine sang the Temptations’ hit My Girl. Katherine put the costumes together, just as she had for the department store show and would for many years to come. Winning the talent show sent the Jackson Five into a citywide competition, where they also triumphed. Up until this time, Joe was too busy working two shifts to give his sons much attention, let alone coach them musically. But after the talent show victories, he started them on a regular schedule of rehearsals and bought them guitars, amplifiers, and microphones. The first paying gig for the Jackson Five was at a local club, Mister Lucky’s Lounge.

JACKIE: It wasn’t a very big club but it was famous in Gary. We did a really good job performing, and the people in the audience started throwing money on stage. Tito, Jermaine, and I were at the back, but Michael and Marlon were standing in the front doing some dancing, so they picked up all the money. The three of us at the back were feeling jealous because we wanted to pick up some money, too. We were so intent on watching Michael and Marlon grab all the money that we started to forget the lyrics. The next day, Michael and Marlon took their money and bought a lot of candy. Convinced that his kids could be successful, Joe bought a VW van so he could take the brothers and their musical instruments and equipment to Chicago to play gigs.

The Jackson 5 recording their first ever single.

The Jackson 5 recording their first ever single.Source:Supplied

JACKIE: Chicago was about thirty miles from Gary. Coming from a small town, we’d go to the big city and look up at all the buildings. We were really impressed with Comiskey Park, where the Chicago White Sox played. We played in a lot of clubs in Chicago. We were too young to hang out in these clubs, so we would have to wait in a room backstage for forty minutes or so. Then we’d perform and the crowd would go crazy. After the gigs, we’d go to White Castle hamburgers on the way home. We loved those small hamburgers. We’d get home very late on a Sunday night, around two in the morning, and we’d have to take our instruments out of the car and get everything into the house. Then we’d have to wake up early and go to school.

Read More:

Source: News au


Thank You For Visiting!



Leave A Response